INFORMATION, ADVICE & ADVOCACY
We offer practical information and advice on getting the right help and support in school for children with learning difficulties and special educational needs.
The service is independent and confidential.
SENAC places the focus on the needs of the child and works with parents, schools and the education authorities to ensure that children receive the right support and resources according to their learning needs.
We work to ensure that their rights and entitlements under the Special Educational Needs (SEN) system are upheld and progressed and that decisions are based on the best interests of the child.
- An independent and confidential telephone Advice Line service, providing advice and information to parents, carers and professionals on getting the right support in school for children with learning difficulties and special educational needs.Advice Line 028 9079 5779 (see Contact Us for opening hours)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Appeals advice and Tribunal Support and Representation Service. This service offers independent advice, support and representation on SEN Appeals for families and those with parental responsibility appealing to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal (SENDIST). If you are considering contacting us about an appeal please read the Terms of Engagement below before calling Jenny on 028 9079 6459 or email email@example.com
Tribunal Support and Representation Service Terms of Engagement click here
- A children’s advocacy service providing educational advocacy for individual children and young people. SENAC can offer assistance in completing Parental Advice forms, understanding the Assessment and Statementing process, advise on the content of Individual Education Plans and Statements and accompany parents to meetings
- Every Chance to Learn (ECL) is a project within SENAC. ECL is a specialist Advocacy service specifically for Looked After Children within the Care System. This service is an additional resource for those who support children in the care system as it offers specialist knowledge and advocacy in relation to a complex and legalistic SEN framework. This project addresses the educational challenges facing children and young people with learning difficulties and disabilities up to 19 years old
Direct line for ECL service – 028 9079 7706 (for advice for children who are not in the Care System please contact the general SEN Advice Line (028 9079 5779)
Email for ECL service: firstname.lastname@example.org
- An information service for parent support groups, community organisations, schools and professionals who work with families
- Email: email@example.com
- An Information Pack outlining the Special Educational Needs System in Northern Ireland can be downloaded here Information Pack. A printed version of this pack is available on request.
- SENAC will also signpost parents, carers and professionals to other groups and organisations that may be able to address a further range of needs for individual children.