INFORMATION, ADVICE & ADVOCACY
We offer practical information and advice on getting the right help and support in school for children with learning difficulties and special educational needs.
The service is independent and confidential.
SENAC places the focus on the needs of the child and works with parents, schools and the education authorities to ensure that children receive the right support and resources according to their learning needs.
We work to ensure that their rights and entitlements under the Special Educational Needs (SEN) system are upheld and progressed and that decisions are based on the best interests of the child.
- An independent and confidential telephone Advice Line service, providing advice and information to parents, carers and professionals on getting the right support in school for children with learning difficulties and special educational needs.Advice Line 028 9079 5779 (see Contact Us for opening hours)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A children’s advocacy service providing educational advocacy for individual children and young people. SENAC can offer assistance in completing Parental Advice forms, understanding the Assessment and Statementing process, advise on the content of Individual Education Plans and Statements and when appropriate accompany parents to meetings
- Appeals advice and Tribunal Support and Representation Service. This service offers independent advice, support and representation on SEN Appeals for families and those with parental responsibility appealing to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal (SENDIST). If you are considering contacting us about an appeal please read the Terms of Engagement below before calling on 028 9079 6459
Tribunal Support and Representation Service Terms of Engagement click here
- An information service for parent support groups, community organisations, schools and professionals who work with families
- If you would like someone from SENAC to come out to talk to your group/staff about the Special Educational Needs system simply email: email@example.com
- An Information Pack outlining the Special Educational Needs System in Northern Ireland can be downloaded here Information Pack. A printed version of this pack is available on request.
- SENAC will also signpost parents, carers and professionals to other groups and organisations that may be able to address a further range of needs for individual children.